Barnstable County Region-Wide Telecommunications & Information Technology Survey
The Skyline Group, Inc. (TSG) along with an affiliate consultant was engaged by Barnstable County to conduct a comprehensive survey of all municipal telecommunications and information technology assets, and associated costs for all towns and schools on Cape Cod.
Our survey for the County was to gather detailed information from site visits covering the following aspects:
- Telecommunications and Internet equipment
- Network routing, switching, firewalling, shaping, and filtering
- Telecommunications and Internet services
- Network topology
- IT and communications facilities
- End user systems
- Sofware applications and services
- Organization and staffing
TSG identified over 300 sites that were relevant to Barnstable County and TSG conducted physical on-site surveys at 210 of these sites. The Skyline Group also identified over 150 applications used by municipal entities and identified areas to reduce cost and increase productivity. Information being gathered included both quantitative information as well as qualitative perspectives on the efficiency of current resources, including present applications and future scalability.
TSG provided the County of Barnstable with the following:
- Spreadsheets containing the data collected, organized and analyzed in such a way as to be useful for on-going tracking
- GIS maps depicting different topologies and networks
- Notes and assessments provided during surveys
- Summary presentation including preliminary findings
A final report representing tabulated summaries of information collected along with assessments of the information.